A grease trap, also known as a grease interceptor, is a kitchen plumbing component that filters grease, oil, fat, and sludge from wastewater before it flows through to the sewers. At Service Pumping & Drain Co., Inc.™, our team offers grease trap cleaning services in Lynn, Mass., and the surrounding areas. We have nearly 100 years of experience keeping grease traps clean in compliance with municipal and state regulations. Learn more about our services and how we can support your kitchen operations.
Importance of Grease Trap Cleaning
Cleaning grease traps is critical to the success and safety of any commercial food enterprise, whether it’s a restaurant, school, church, hospital, or nursing home. Fat, oil, and grease (FOG) solidifies over time when at room temperature, and without a proper cleaning, your grease trap will overflow and this FOG will enter your water drainage system.
This waste will then build up in your pipes, harming your plumbing and interfering with effective drainage. Should your waste become bad enough that it clogs up or contaminates the city’s sewage system, this can result in fines, a poor reputation, and costly closures for mandated cleanings. In addition to damage and related environmental concerns, FOG draws pests and, because it contains bacteria, can create an awful odor and unsanitary conditions.
According to Massachusetts regulations, grease traps must be installed on a separate building sewer so that kitchen flows discharging grease will enter a specially designed septic tank. The traps should then be inspected at least once a month by an operator or owner. Cleaning is required every three months — or sooner should the grease level reach about 25% of the trap’s depth — by a licensed septage hauler.
How Is a Grease Trap Cleaned?
Whether your grease traps are automatic or passive, they need regular cleaning by a professional. The following are some of the steps that Lynn, Mass., grease trap cleaning service providers take when cleaning traps:
- Locate the grease trap and remove its lid. An expert will first locate the grease trap, whether it be indoors or outdoors, and slowly remove its lid to avoid damaging the gasket beneath.
- Remove the collected grease. The cleaning professional will use a pump truck to remove the FOG floating atop the water in the grease trap. Then, a vacuum pump truck is effective for removing that water and any residual solids.
- Clean the grease trap itself. The expert will remove and clean the grease trap’s lid, baffles, and sides with the shop vacuum to handle leftover FOG. The next step to a thorough clean involves using a metal scrubber and warm water to scrub all surfaces for any stuck particles. Once finished, the expert will rinse the trap with clean water.
- Test the cleaned trap. The cleaning professional will put the trap back together and replace the lid. To ensure that the grease trap is now functioning effectively, they will run the kitchen sink, flushing the trap with a gallon of water and checking for any remaining drainage issues.
- Dispose of FOG. Call a professional who is licensed by the Board of Health in your city or town.
Other best practices for maintaining grease traps include:
- Monitoring your pipes and grease trap regularly
- Making sure your grease trap is of the appropriate size for your business
- Rinsing dishes and utensils with cold water to better solidify FOG for easy great trap catchment
- Reducing oil usage, if possible, as well as chemicals like chlorine or bleach
- Throwing away excess food as well as recycling oils rather than putting them down the disposal
- Working with a professional grease trap cleaning service
Cleaning Services We Offer
At Service Pumping & Drain Co., we focus on preventative maintenance to help your business avoid wastewater issues. We have capabilities for:
- Grease trap maintenance
- Septic system maintenance
- Holding tank maintenance
- Catch basin and storm drain cleaning
- Pipeline video inspections
- High-pressure water jetting
- 24-hour emergency services
Our expert team is equipped with the septic tank supplies and vacuum pump trucks necessary to fulfill your maintenance and cleaning needs. We also have a Beneficial Reuse & Recycling facility for safe grease disposal after your cleaning.
Set Up a Cleaning Today
Regular grease trap cleaning is key to ensuring a safe kitchen environment. Whether it’s an emergency that needs a quick response or you’re looking for a local grease trap cleaning service for preventative maintenance at an affordable price, Service Pumping & Drain Co., Inc. can help. Contact us today or give us a call at 1-800-794-9265 to learn more.